I almost wish I was back in school (no, 5 years wasn’t enough for my MA 🙂 ) since we’ve got the writer’s strike going on. I would love to study what is going on during the strike (will more people go to the Internet, movies, etc. rather than TV since there may be nothing new on for awhile?) and then after the strike ends (will the entire market be affected and for how long?). However, so far I haven’t been affected by it (I don’t often watch talk shows which were the first to go), so here is my list of favorites from this past week, in preference order:
1) FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS!!!! I love this show so much. I really felt Landry’s and even Julie’s pain when they saw their respective relationships with other people. Riggins is just so cute – I love when they focus on him, and I like that he’s helping the “new guy”, Santiago. And how could I forget Jason’s attempt to grow up? I really, really hope this is not one of the casualties of poor scheduling and perhaps the writer’s strike.
2) The Office – When I first watched this episode, I was underwhelmed. I don’t watch Survivorman (although my son and husband do), and the whole idea of Michael in the wilderness wasn’t funny. But the expression that Jim made when Phyllis called him Michael was priceless, and I just loved Michael’s discussion with Jim. The combination of his wearing street clothes and telling it like it was (as if it was all an act for him) was just amazing. It really gave me a renewed interest in the show.
3) The Big Bang Theory – I enjoyed this episode as usual. The idea of Wolowitz and Penny’s friend from home moving in together with his mom was funny enough, but Penny being great at Halo 3 was also unexpected. I also enjoyed having “Mrs. Renee” from Pee Wee’s Playhouse as Wolowitz’s mom!
4) ER – I can’t believe I was ready to quit this show! A lot of shows really seem to have stumbled at the beginning of the year, only to bring it back a few weeks later. ER is a great example. The end of last season was just so over the top, with everyone being in love with Neela and Ray being hit by a bus. But this and last week’s episode really got me interested yet again. I can’t believe Abby is drinking again and slept with her boss! I’m even liking Archie as a character. I’m glad the show got it’s groove back.
5) Boston Legal – I always am just about to give up on this show. I didn’t like it as much as the other 4, but I loved having Mary Gross as a guest star. I loved her on Saturday Night Live as I was growing up, and actually met her in college, as a friend of a friend’s mom was her landlady. That was a big thrill for me. I’m glad to see her back on TV, and this week’s episode was pretty good on a whole.
I really missed Cavemen and Carpoolers this week. I hope they come back, but I am very worried, since they weren’t getting much positive attention, and with the writers’ strike, who knows if they will be the first casualties. I haven’t watched Boston Legal or Numb3rs yet, but I assume I’ll enjoy them as usual. I am offiicially giving up on Big Shots and Shark. I just don’t have enough time in my life to watch these two. Shark is just like any other crime show now, and Big Shots is just too over the top. I am on the fence about Life. I really have enjoyed it, but I almost feel like there are too many crime shows out there, and I’d rather watch LO:CI than any other crime show. Same with Reaper. It’s okay, and I love Brett Harrison (I’ve been rewatching him in Grounded For Life, and love him even more there), but I’m never that excited about it, and do other things while it’s on. House is okay. I couldn’t even put it in my top 5. I thought it was okay, but I wouldn’t miss it if it went away. Oh why do they change the formula mid stream on these shows? If the original team was staying, just not working with House, what was the point of firing them? I’m not in a huge hurry to watch this again, although I’m sure I will.
I suspect I’ll be watching less and less TV as the writers’ strike means there are no new shows to air, but then I’ll be able to get to all the movies I have sitting on my TiVo that I haven’t gotten to yet!